In the era of mobile phones, there are so many applications developed and released every day. Mobile applications are there in the market for each and every need of users ranging from online shopping to banking. We are aware of this fact, that mobile application testing is quite a cumbersome process. There are numerous platforms and Operating Systems, types of testing scenarios, and a variety of network connections and carriers in the picture for mobile applications.
Android and iOS are one of the most popular Mobile Operating System these days. There are millions of apps developed for these operating systems that need continuous testing as a part of maintenance after bug fixing.
There are so many mobile testing tools available out there, it is difficult to make up one’s mind. You start with trials for the tools that suits your project needs, at the end you will end up with more confusion on which tool to use. That’s why we have come across the list of Top 20 Testing tools that every mobile tester should know.
For your ease, we have divided the tools into 5 categories. These categories will help you to first decide in which category your need falls and then choose tool from the ones discussed under the chosen category. Let’s first see what these categories are and then we will discuss the tools in detail.
Tools for Tracking, Hosting and Continuous Integration
Tools for coding
Tools to spawn software containers
Tools for communication
Tools for CSS Validating
Cross-browser Testing Tools
Load Testing Tools
API Testing Tools
Tools for Test Automation
Tools for Mobile Testing
Tools for Security Testing
Now it’s time we start discussing these tools in a bit detail covering features, details about license, link to download.
Tools for Tracking, Hosting and Continuous Integration
This is the tool developed for agile environments. It will help the team to plan, track and release the software and will help to report the performance of the software in the form of real-time and visual data that your team can put to use.
- This tool gives the liberty to choose a workflow or design a new workflow to match the way your team works.
- You are free to integrate the tool with the tools that you already use. You can connect to Confluence, Bitbucket and hundreds of other developer tools.
- This tool is specifically designed keeping in mind security and scale. You can scale Jira software across your entire organization.
- Jira Software can be custom tailored for any and every use case using Portfolio for Jira, Tempo Timesheets and over 3,000 other apps are available for this purpose.
- Jira Mobile App helps to track and manage projects from anywhere.
Download Link : https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/try
GitHub is a web based repository and a hosting service for your projects. One of the most exciting things about GitHub is that it supports distributed revision control and source code management functionality. GitHub has a desktop interface, web-based graphical interface and a mobile integration.
It also supports features like access control, bug tracking and wiki for every project.
- It is a very versatile tool ideal for distributed teams.
- You can create a backup of you code on GitHub instead of saving it on desktop or on corporate server.
- It has built-in review tools, thus making code review an essential part of your team’s work.
Download Link : https://github.com/
Jenkins is an open-source tool written in Java to provide continuous integration services for your project. It runs in a server container like Apache Tomcat and thus it is a server based system. It provides hundreds of plugins, making it easier to build, deploy and automate any project.
- Builds can be started manually with just a click.
- It is possible to schedule a build via cron-like mechanism.
- Builds are committed in a version control system.
Download Link : https://jenkins.io/download/
Tools for Coding
IntelliJ IDEA is a Java INtegrated Development Environment, available as an Apache 2 licensed community edition and as a proprietary commercial edition. It is developed by JetBrains.
- Out-of-the-box experience: No plugin hassle, it provides mission-critical tools like integrated version control systems and a wide variety of languages.
- Developer ergonomics: IntelliJ IDEA is build on a principle to eliminate or minimize interruption in developer’s flow. It follows your context and brings up the necessary tools automatically.
- Unobtrusive Intelligence: IntelliJ IDEA is not only a editor, it provides support for other aspects also like: filling a field, searching over a list of elements and many more.
- Deep Intelligence: After code indexing, IntelliJ IDEA provides a fast and intelligent experience like on the fly code analysis, instant code completion and reliable refactoring tools.
Download Link : https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/
Tools to spawn Software Containers
Docker is an open-source software, supporting automatic deployment of applications inside software containers. Docker container wraps a software in a complete file system, thus providing it everything it needs to run like code, system tools, system libraries etc.
- Docker containers are light weight that enable to start different applications with less resources.
- It provides rapid application deployment.
Download Link : https://www.docker.com/
Tools for Communication
Slack is a cloud-based collaboration tools where you can have private channels, channels, direct messages to one or more people, video calls. It also supports file sharing, which is a very useful feature when you are not in front of a computer. There is also an archive option.
- Search everything: It is possible to search for everything that you have shared in channels or direct messages.
- Your Tools and Services: You can connect your tools to channels, thus possible to complete simple task through Slack.
- ON/OFF Channels: You can ON/OFF a channels and you can also set a downtime.
- Emoji Support: You can directly type an emoji, you don’t need to search for them.
Download Link : https://slack.com/intl/en-in/
Tools for CSS Validating
W3C CSS Validator
This is a free software developed by W3C to help Web designers and developers to check CSS Code. It also helps users to find errors or incorrect uses of CSS.
- It recognizes many browser extensions and prefixes.
- It includes an integrated web browser. Thus, enabling a developer or designer to check the website at the same time.
- It checks and alerts accessibility issues.
Download Link : https://validator.w3.org/
Cross-browser Testing Tool
LambdaTest is a cloud-based cross-browser testing tool. It is capable of performing Live Interactive and Cross-browser testing on 2000+ Real Browsers and Operating Systems online.
- Live Interactive Cross-Browser Testing: LambdaTest is capable or performing live interactive cross-browser testing of public or locally hosted websites on 2000+ real devices or operating systems. It has integrated debugging tools that can debug in real time on desktop or mobile browsers.
- Selenium Automation Testing: Supports executing selenium automation tests on a scalable and secure cloud based Selenium grid.
- Reduced Build Time with Parallel Testing: Selenium grid is capable of parallel testing. Thus, cutting down the build time.
- Automated Screenshots for Accelerated Web Layout Testing: Single Click full page auto generated screenshots of your web pages across multiple devices, operating systems, browsers for visual cross browser testing.
Download Link : https://www.lambdatest.com/
One of the best cross-browser testing software that allows testing website and its elements in multiple browsers. This tool provides support for testing website and all the web pages for scripting and layout errors.
- Discover Layout Problems: It is capable of detecting cross-browser layout problems by comparing different browser’s output.
- Easily Test Your Entire SIte: With the help of site crawling feature, it is possible to test all the pages of a website.
- Test Pages Behind Login: Browsera is capable for handling logging in prior to running each test.
- No installation required: This is a cloud based software, so it requires no installation.
- Test Dynamic Pages: AJAX and DHTML pages can tested with Browsera.
Download Link : http://www.browsera.com/